Self-Officiation and Spirit of the Game

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Fear

Captains are looked up to,
Higher standards are set.
They're still just kids inside,
Trying to find their way.

-------------------------------------------------------

I have worked to hide my weaknesses my whole life. I think most people do this. But this post just made me realize I may not be as successful as I think at hiding them. The simple fact that I was doing something different in my warm-up routine was enough to not only show the very weakness that I was trying to hide, but for it to rub off on others. I was a captain - I was supposed to lead by example.

Our team philosophy going into every game was "We're playing a team, and this is just another opportunity to throw plastic at our friends". But the fact that I was doing something different could only mean that this team and this game and this tournament was different. By trying to hide my own fear and weakness under a stony face and some headphones, I undermined our whole team's philosophy.

I'm forever grateful for my teammates continued belief in me and our team despite my fears and weaknesses.

ARC

1 comment: