Self-Officiation and Spirit of the Game

Friday, October 23, 2015

Work

Work has to be done.
Make it a chore or passion?
That is the question.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night I heard a great analogy. Work is like high school. It kind of fits perfectly. You spend a similar amount of hours at the location. You do the things that need to be done at that location in those specified hours (at least I did and do). And most importantly, your time outside of those hours are yours to do with whatever you choose. Your weekends are yours, your weeknights are yours.

These are in stark contrast to college. In college there seems to always be an assignment hanging over your head. Whether its a problem set, a paper, or studying for a midterm, you constantly have that stress of knowing you're putting it off in the back of your mind. With all the free time in college, you get to decide your own hours, and it seems all too often you do a truly terrible job of setting these hours efficiently. If you just set a few hours aside every day (time that you used to have to spend at school anyway) you could just get things done and not have the stress hanging over you.

Unfortunately procrastination is super easy in college. There is always something happening, some excuse you can make. You tell yourself that there will never be another time you can go to dinner with your friends, or go drink at the house, or play Minecraft. In hindsight, these are all laughable, but I guess I still wouldn't change anything I did. Some mistakes, you simply have to make to learn from and be stronger moving forward.

I like working. It forces me to do my work during the day, so that i'm not stressing out at night. It's a bit harder than high school, i'll concede that. But the idea is similar. My aim is to not bring work home with me if I can help it. It's a pretty big shift to go from high school to college and back, but it's eased by the fact that you've done it before. You're well practiced in this style of working.

ARC


2 comments:

  1. Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you. online jobs 2021

    ReplyDelete