Self-Officiation and Spirit of the Game

Friday, October 30, 2015

Throwing Principles

Early Morning

The trees are blackish
   against the morning sky.
Early morning breezes
   push the night goodbye.

There's a leftover moon
   from disappearing night
As birds scatter darkness
   in many a-chattering flight!

HGC

*HGC is Henry George Champe, my late grandfather, and I aspire to write like him, as well as be kind to a fault like him. I'm working my way there Gramps. Love you and miss you. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm gonna piggyback a bit here. I've been wanting to put my thoughts on throwing on paper for a while, and part of Yngve's post talks about different paths that can lead to the same path. I think that Yngve is right on some accounts here and wrong on others. I think that while it's entirely possible for everyone to take slightly different paths on the way to throwing a forehand for example, they are wasting their time reinventing the wheel. Many times square wheels with very limited usability. Just because we haven't found the ideal path to teaching a forehand yet, doesn't mean that everyone should take their own path or that we haven't found a darn good path to lead people down. Disclaimer: I am not claiming this is that way. While mechanics can be different between throwers, the same principles and ideas apply to all, and can be used by all. 

I remember working with KJ on Deering last year with his flick. In one hour, his flick was looking eons better. There were 4 basic principles we worked on with one underlying law: consistency (I may be changing wording/numbering here KJ, so forgive me). And I believe all young throwers, and even mature throwers who may be working on a new throw, should think about the one law within each of these four principles until they all become second nature and you no longer have to think about it for your throw to come out how you want it to.

Law - Consistency
Throwing is like shooting free throws. If you do the same thing every time, your throws will have a far better chance of looking the way you want them to, assuming you are following the principles. Obviously (in my head anyway) this applies to each type of throw: a huck will be different than a dump. But consider a category list of every type of throw in the book: OI upwind flick huck, IO upwind flick huck, flat upwind flick huck, blading over the defender upwind flick huck, etc... There are endless combinations here depending on receiver, defender etc etc, but the point is that for every one type of throw I throw, I strive for consistency. I always try to have the same values for the 4 principles listed below. 

1. Visualization - 
How do you want this throw to look as it flies through the air? Do you want it to be flat? OI? IO? Do you want it to rise over someone in front of you? Do you want it to bend around the defense? You have to have the concept in your mind before you can execute it. This has been the most important part of me becoming a competent thrower. If a throw ever comes out not looking like I visualized beforehand, I yell at myself. I am constantly apologizing to my throwing partners not because they couldn't get to or catch the disc, but because in my head it was easier for them which is always my goal as a thrower. I want every throw to be perfect like it is in my head. Shoutout to Chuck -> Visualization is great. Consistency.

2. Release point - 
From where do I need to release the disc for the throw I'm visualizing? Should it be even with my body when my foot hits the ground on my step out? Should it already be out of my hand? It should match up with the point in space at which you are most comfortable releasing your throws. For example I am very bad at releasing super far away from my body in most all circumstances (yes you can work to improve this and the best throwers do, but this is about teaching new throwers). Many people cannot release the disc before their foot hits the ground consistently. As with everything, there are many options here. This is where Yngve is right in a sense. Paths will stray, but I liken the principle to a road I liken these paths to individuals' throwing mechanics. People are all on the same road that leads to SPAC, but may just be walking on the other side of that road. The idea here is to find that comfortable spot and work to release it there whenever possible. Consistency.

3. Arm mechanics - 
Does my arm need to come through fast for this throw I'm visualizing? Or slow? Should my elbow be close to my body? Far away to get around the mark? Should I be breaking through the disc with my thumb like Yiding? Or grip it gently? Young throwers need to consciously think about their arm speed as they move through their motion, a lot about their arm angle and elbow placement, and about their grip. This can be the difference between lasers and touchy throws, hucks and dumps, unintentional blades and great throws. There is a specific answer to all the above questions for each throw in the category list and eventually your brain will do all the "calculations" for you -> it's great. Until then, coaches and captains should talk with young throwers about which answers satisfy the requirements for a throw they don't yet have so they can start building their knowledge. Consistency.

4. Disc Angle - 
What angle should this disc be at for the throw I'm visualizing? Should it be flat? A tad OI? Maybe really IO? There are essentially infinite points on the 2-D plane in front of you at which you could release the disc. Completely vertical, or horizontal, 45 degrees NE or SE, etc etc. Again there is an answer for each throw in the category list, and practicing/throwing a ton will get you to the point where you no longer have to think about it. 

Practice - Do this for every single throw during your next throwing session and tell me your thoughts.
Visualize a throw and set your criteria. Where should it hit your receiver? What flight path should it take? 
Consider the release point. Given the conditions, where do I need to release this disc for it to meet my above criteria?
Consider your arm mechanics. What should my arm be doing during this throw to execute it properly and meet my above criteria?
Consider the disc's angle. What angle of the disc will meet my above criteria?
Throw the plastic at your friend. Did it meet your criteria? 
        Y -> Cool do it again; strive for consistency.
        N -> Cool do it again and make the necessary changes. Keep tweaking until your answer is a yes

ARC

2 comments:

  1. I posted something similar a few weeks back about throwing: give it a read if you haven't yet. http://tilymi.com/the-black-box-of-throwing/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that is pretty similar. Your's is more precise (I like your description a lot), whereas I kinda just babbled on for a bit.

      Delete