Self-Officiation and Spirit of the Game

Monday, November 12, 2018

Mixed Regionals

This past weekend I coached NUGGET (Northwestern Ultimate's Gratuitous Gender Equity Team) at mixed regionals. It was a blast. I was a bit anxious going in for a number of reasons including the weather and never having coached women before. My biggest concern was overstepping my bounds with the people that I didn't know well.

I needn't have been worried. It was a lot of fun and I think that I did a good job not overstepping any bounds. Thanks KB for the prevailing coaching theory. I think the only difference in my coaching came strictly from not knowing most of the women on the team well. One player that I had only interacted with at a couple practices even asked me specifically for feedback which was a great feeling. It seems as though I did a good job instilling trust and building a rapport even in such a short amount of time.

Sgnoles started out calling lines and I called the ones immediately after she came off the field. But after maybe a game or so, she mostly let me do the line calling which I hope allowed her to play better and focus on her game (should be the role of a coach imo). This was the first time I've ever called lines unevenly. At MLC or Centex last year, it was just an even rotation. It is much much harder to call tight lines. Everyone did play in every game, but there were for sure a few people who played just 1 or 2 points in the semis and finals. I hope I did a good enough job and that no one is upset, but at the same time I think I am fine taking some heat for that if I missed the mark a bit.
I really enjoyed getting to know some of the Gungho players better and am excited to see them develop and play this year.

ARC

No comments:

Post a Comment